The New Century: Webern & Berg
with the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra
Thursday 31 May 2012, 7.30pm
City Halls, Candleriggs, Glasgow G1 1NQ
part of the The New Century series
Webern Im Sommerwind: Idyll for orchestra (c.12')
Webern 6 pieces for large orchestra
(1909-10, rev.1928 version), Op.6 (c.13')
Berg Chamber Concerto for piano, violin and thirteen wind instruments, Op.8 (c.39')
Ilya Gringolts violin
Nicolas Hodges piano
Ilan Volkov conductor
BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra
The concert is presented by Stephen Johnson
"The best music always results from ecstasies of logic," said Alban Berg. But he proved, time and again, that the music of the Second Viennese School could do infinitely more than that. Ilan Volkov conducts as violinist Ilya Gringolts and Nicolas Hodges - arguably the finest living champion of contemporary piano music - join 13 hand-picked BBC SSO players on the impassioned pilgrimage of Berg's extraordinary Chamber Concerto. First, though, the full orchestra explores the ravishing, crystalline sound-world of Webern's Six Orchestral Pieces - music that Stravinsky compared to diamonds - and lays bare the sensuous and deeply romantic roots of Webern's creative vision in the exquisite Im Sommerwind.
Tickets are free, limited to 4 tickets per application. Unreserved seating.
This concert will be recorded for future broadcast on BBC Radio 3.
Please note that due to recording, this concert is not suitable for young children.
How to get there
- The nearest subway station is St Enoch, which is approximately a ten-minute walk from the venues.
- Many local service buses pass close by City Halls and the Old Fruitmarket, either along Trongate or Glassford Street. Most are operated by First Bus.
- Queen Street and Central Stations are a ten-minute walk from the venues. For information on rail travel within the UK, National Rail is the official source for all rail information, train times and timetables.
- On the M8 motorway, take junction 15, turn left onto Castle Street following signs for the Royal Infirmary/East Kilbride/A730. Castle Street becomes High Street and at the fourth set of traffic lights, turn right onto Ingram Street. Candleriggs is the second street on the left. The nearest car parks is the Q-Park on Albion Street which offers parking deals for our customers – call the box office on 0141 353 8000 for more details.
- The Grand Hall at City Halls is accessible to those with mobility difficulties. A lift from the Candleriggs entrance gives access to all levels. Our Concert Halls are fitted with infra-red assisted hearing systems which are specially designed for use in large auditoria. Please notify the Box Office when booking.