Welsh Composers' Showcase
19 December 2011
Welsh Composers' Showcase with the BBC National Orchestra of Wales, Jac van Steen and Simon Holt
In collaboration with Composers of Wales, Ty Cerdd and the Welsh Music Guild
Wednesday 1 and Thursday 2 February 2012
Six scores have been chosen to be featured in this two day event which will take place at BBC Hoddinott Hall in Cardiff Bay. The project will be led by Principal Guest Conductor of the BBC National Orchestra of Wales, Jac van Steen and Composer in Association Simon Holt who have also selected the scores to be included. Resident Composer Mark Bowden will also be attending the two days offering support and advice to the composers involved.
The project will feature the following composers and scores:
- Andrew Lewis: Eclipse for orchestra
- Brian Noyes: Shadows of Memory
- Dai Hao: Brahman
- Gareth Olubunmi Hughes: Visions of Existence #2: "Fractal Civilisations"
- Joseph Davies: Night Resonance Recedes
- Sarah Lianne Lewis: I Can't See the Stars...But I Can Feel Their Spears (3rd movement)
The project forms part of the Education and Community Outreach activity of the BBC National Orchestra of Wales. The aim is to showcase works by living composers worthy of wider exposure and is organised in collaboration with Composers of Wales, Ty Cerdd and the Welsh Music Guild.
Composers eligible to submit a score were as follows:
- Post tertiary education composers born in Wales
- Post tertiary education composers currently living in Wales
- Composers studying composition at Post-Graduate level in Wales
- Composers born in Wales studying composition at Post-Graduate level outside Wales but within the U.K.
A selection of scores from the list above will be selected for the afternoon rehearsal and evening concert on Thursday 2nd February. Jac van Steen and Simon Holt will announce the scores which have been chosen to go forward at the end of the rehearsal on Wednesday 1st February.
FREE workshops and culmination concert:
Wednesday 1 February 2012 - BBC Hoddinott Hall, Cardiff Bay
Free workshops open to the public: 1000-1300 and 1400-1700
Thursday 2 February 2012 - BBC Hoddinott Hall, Cardiff Bay
Free rehearsal open to the public: 1430-1730
Free concert featuring highlights from the project: 1900
Tickets for all of these sessions are FREE and available from the BBC National Orchestra of Wales Audience Line on 0800 052 1812.