A saucy tribute
Should HP Sauce, which was invented at a house in Nottingham, be commemorated with a plaque?
An early HP sauce bottle
HP Brown Sauce was invented by Frederick Gibson Garton in his pickling factory at the back of 47 Sandon Street in Basford.
He was living at the Royal Oak at the bottom of the street when he came up with the recipe.
The original HP Sauce factory
In 1896, Garton patented the sauce but had to sell it to the Midland Vinegar Company in Birmingham for £150, due to unpaid bills to its owner Edwin Samson Moore.
The original bottles, which had Garton's name embossed on the side, are worth around £100.
Nottingham Castle Museums and Galleries have one of the bottles, carefully preserved, in their possession.
However, Mr Singh, the current owner of the house, admitted that when he moved in to the house 25 years ago he got rid of a skip-full of original HP Sauce bottles.
They could have been worth a small fortune!
last updated: 10/02/2009 at 16:24
Have Your Say
Should this famous sauce invented in Nottingham have a plaque?
Bill of the yard!
Captain ot the Chip.
Some people believe Garton called the sauce HP because he'd heard that a restaurant in the Houses of Parliament had begun serving it.
Some stories suggest that the name HP was derived from the name Harry Palmer.
HP Sauce became known as 'Wilson's Gravy' after Harold Wilson, the Prime Minister in the 1960/70s.