Welcome to the YP&M House Rules. The House Rules exist so that everyone can get the best out of contributing to the site. They aim to protect anyone who reads or contributes and to help everyone to have a pleasant and safe time. In essence the rules amount to little more than common sense and courtesy.
If any content breaks the rules below, it may be removed or edited by the Editorial Team.
Rules for Contributing to Your Place & Mine
Please keep your contributions civil, tasteful and relevant. The aim of YP&M is to provide a place in which contributions are constructive and mature, and articles are interesting and entertaining. To this aim, here are the House Rules for contributing to YP&M.
- Please, no flaming or trolling. On YP&M, flaming means posting something that's angry and mean-spirited - the online equivalent of flying off the handle. It's not a pretty sight, and we recommend constructive discussion as a far more satisfying pastime. Trolls say deliberately provocative things just to stir up trouble - it's not polite, so please don't do it. YP&M is a friendly place, so please help to keep it that way.
- Unlawful, harassing, defamatory, abusive, threatening, harmful, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, racially offensive, or otherwise objectionable material is not acceptable. You'll notice 'profane' in the list here. This means that hardcore swearing is not allowed on YP&M, and if you do swear, a YP&M Editor may **** out the swear word. Swearing is strongly disencouraged on this website. Some swearing - such as quotes from poems or plays in reviews, for example - may be editorially acceptable, but in everyday communication, it is not. All the types of content above break these House Rules. Please don't post it, or you may find we will refuse to post your contributions.
- Please be patient. People of all ages and abilities use this website, so please remember this when posting. Remember when you were a web newcomer, and try to be kind.
- No advertising. Advertising is not allowed anywhere on BBCi. We've cannot allow contributors to advertise on YP&M. There has to be a sound editorial reason to mention specific products or services. Contributions that mention commercial products will be individually judged on their editorial merit. Blatant attempts to ‘push’ a particular product or service aren't acceptable and thus won’t be posted on the site.
- Postings or entries containing languages other than English may be removed. Because we have to ensure we understand a Posting or Article before we can pass it, languages other than English may have to be removed. It's also polite when posting to a Conversation to stick to the same language as the other Postings in that Conversation; posting something in a different language halfway through is not very constructive.
- Please don't impersonate others. Everyone contributing to the site is encouraged to give themselves a name. This helps build a sense of community and we can recognise each other. It is extremely unfair and un-funny to pretend to be someone else. Please don’t.
Adopting an inappropriate Nickname (one that is vulgar, likely to cause offence, etc.) is also not allowed, and if you do pick a Nickname that isn't acceptable, we will simply refuse to publish it. Please note that we do not allow URLs to be included in Nicknames.
- Be very careful with including email addresses, instant messaging numbers and the like in contributions, and please do not include anyone else's personal details.
You may include your own personal email address or instant messaging number in your contributions (providing it is acceptable, ie not vulgar or offensive), but please be aware that you are potentially opening yourself up to a lot of email, and possibly spam email too, and you should be absolutely sure that you want people to be able to contact you like this.
We recommend you set up a new email account specifically for people to contact you on, if you wish to publicise a contact point. It's OK to include general contact details for groups, clubs, companies, for example, but you must only include publicly available details. It is not acceptable to publicise anyone else's private contact details other than your own, and we will remove any such postal addresses or telephone numbers from contributions.
- Only include suitable URLs in your contributions. Links to websites we consider unsuitable will be removed, so if you are considering contributing something that contains a URL, please make sure that it adds value and interest to the subject of your entry, and isn't, for example, purely commercial. Unsuitable sites would include those with racist material, pornographic or sexually explicit material, potentially defamatory material, anything which encourages illegal activities, material which infringes copyright, sites which purely plug or promote commercial products or services without containing material which enhances the subject matter, or sites which may offend our users. We may also have to fail links to sites which are in languages other than English, for the reasons described above. Please note that we do not allow URLs to be included in Nicknames.
The BBC reserves the right to change these House Rules at any time by posting changes online. You are responsible for regularly reviewing information posted online to obtain notice of such changes. Your continued use of this site after changes are posted constitutes your acceptance of these House Rules as modified by the posted changes.
also - Some conditions about submitting pictures