Chemical changes occur when food is cooked. Cooking is a useful context to explain this concept in science. As an introduction, watch the following clips:
- BBC Learning Zone Clip 90 - Taste [Flash Video]
- BBC Learning Zone Clip 91 - From raw to cooked [Flash Video]
In small groups, ask pupils to think of other foods which change when they are cooked.
- Describe what they are like at the start.
- Describe how the food changes due to cooking.
- Is there any way that the food could be changed back to its pre-cooked version.
Take feedback from pupils on what they discussed. Use their information to list the main characteristics of chemical changes. It may be useful to view the following video and website.