Ask the class to name some celebrity chefs. Discuss what skills, experience and qualifications they have. Look at the following links on how to become a chef.
- BBC Masterchef: Becoming a Chef [article]
- Careers Advice: Chef job profile [external link: article]
- Caterer.com Becoming a chef [external link: article]
Discuss the following topics with the class:
- What did you not know/realise about training to be a chef?
- Besides the obvious cooking skills, what other skills/characteristics are needed to be a chef?
- How could these skills be useful in other career areas?
- What do you like about this career?
- What do you not like?
Consolidation – Questions for consideration:
- What are the next steps in becoming a chef? – explore subject choices and qualifications needed.
- What are the prospects for this kind of work in Northern Ireland?
- What other jobs are available in the catering industry?
- How is the catering industry likely to change in the future?
If the class is still enthusiastic about becoming a chef, complete the BBC Masterchef course [article]