Local and Global Citizenship Unit - The cost of our food
When things go wrong...
Ask pupils if they can think of problems with our food supply recently and over the past couple of years. Examples include the pork scare, foot and mouth, mad cow disease.
BBC News: Pork Dioxin Scare
- BBC News: Q & A Food and Mouth disease [article]
- BBC Newsnight: Mad cow disease: [Flash Video]
- BBC News New Quick Test For Avian Flu [Flash Video]
- BBC News: Curry Sparks Egg Scare [Windows Media Video]
The class may research one food scare or break up into groups to research different ones.
Pupils must find enough information:
- To describe the food scare.
- What caused it.
- Action being taken by government/authorities.
- Their opinion of the action taken – how successful it was – what could have been done differently – lessons for the future.