Unit 5. Water, Light, Sound & Energy
Is green power possible?
This section looks more closely at renewable sources of energy. Discuss with the class why renewable energy is important. Do they know any types of renewable energy? Discuss the different types of renewable energy described in the following website and try some the Action Renewable activity sheets.
- Ecoworld - energy : Renewable Energy [external link: PDF]
- Action Renewables activity sheets [external link: PDF]
Watch the following clips. Ask the class to think about how movement creates the renewable energy. Introduce the phrase 'kinetic energy'; moving water and wind have kinetic energy which can then be transferred into electrical energy.
- BBC Primary Focus - Green Power: Hydroelectric power
- BBC Primary Focus - Green Power: Water wheels
- BBC Primary Focus - Green Power: Wind power
- BBC Primary Focus - Green Power: Wind turbines
- BBC Primary Focus- Green Power teacher's notes & worksheets [PDF]
Arrange a visit to a local wind farm to see renewable energy in action or invite an expert in to discuss renewable energy with the class. If the class is enthusiastic about renewable energy discuss the possibility of becoming an eco-school.
- Visit a local wind farm [external link: PDF]
- Invite Action Renewables to your school. [external link: article]
- Invite Sentinus to your school [external link: article]
- Become an Eco-school. [external link: article]
Other useful sites: