Unit 5. Water, Light, Sound & Energy
How does sound travel?
Discuss the concept of sound with the children. Listen to the different sections of the orchestra and ask the pupils to think about the sounds the different instruments make- are they high, low, loud, quiet? How are these different sounds made?
- BBC Musical Mysteries: Orchestra Factfiles [Flash Activity]
Then watch the following videos:
- BBC Primary Focus - Light & Sound: Sound Travelling in air
- BBC Primary Focus - Light & Sound: Sound Travelling in water
- BBC Primary Focus - Light & Sound: Pitch
- BBC Primary Focus - Light & Sound: Sound waves
- BBC Learning Zone clip 12: Sound Travelling through solids [Flash Video]
- BBC Primary Focus: Light & Sound: Teachers’ notes and pupil worksheets [PDF]
Try this online activity:
- KS2 Bitesize - Physical processes Changing Sounds [Flash Activity]
Now try these practical hands-on activities in the classroom. Before you start, describe the activity and ask the children what they expect to happen. At the end of each activity ask them were they surprised with the results and how do they think it worked.