Unit 4. How do we travel, now and in the past?
How has car use changed?
Discuss how often your pupils use a car to travel? How far do they travel on these journeys? Ask the pupils to fill in Think local Act Global Worksheet 1 [PDF]. Show the class the traffic survey video then using the resource sheet ask the class to complete a traffic survey in the local area.
- BBC Primary Focus: Think local/act global Worksheet 1 [PDF]
- Department for Transport KS2 Local Traffic Survey resource sheet [external link: PDF]
Watch the following videos. Discuss how car usage has changed over the past 100 years. What has been the effect of this change - focussing on changes in the landscape, lifestyle and environment. What has been done to manage the effects? Is growth in car usage sustainable? What are the alternatives?
- BBC Primary Focus: Traffic Survey - Traffic congestion
- BBC Primary Focus: Traffic Survey- Traffic Control Care
- BBC Primary Focus: Traffic Survey - Effects of a Bypass
- BBC Primary Focus: Traffic Survey - Newry Traffic