Unit 3. What makes people travel?
Vikings - visitors or invaders?
What do we know about groups of people who have come to Northern Ireland in the past? Ask the pupils to discuss the difference between an invader and a visitor? Ask the pupils what they know about the Vikings, who they were, where did they come from and why did they come to Ireland? What happened when they arrived?
What do we know about them?
- BBC Education: The Vikings [article]
- BBC history: Vikings [article & Flash activities]
- PBS The Vikings [external link: articles & video]
Listen to the following programmes clips to find out about the Vikings in Ireland. Ask the pupils to research whether the Vikings left any evidence of their presence in Ireland through place names and surnames.
- BBC TANDY: Raiders From the North: Who were the Vikings?
- BBC TANDY: Raiders From the North: Bangor Monastery
- BBC TANDY: Vikings in Ireland: Viking Raids
- BBC TANDY: Vikings in Ireland: Viking Names
- BBC TANDY: Raiders From the North: Interview with a Viking 1
- BBC TANDY: Raiders From the North: Interview with a Viking 2
- BBC TANDY: Invaders [Flash activity & PDF]