Unit 1: What makes animals move?
Why do Brent Geese migrate?
Use the following range of resources to investigate the reasons for the migration of the Brent Geese. Discuss the geese's migratory journey, how long is the journey, why do they travel so far, how do they know where to go, how to they know when to leave? Do all the geese survive the journey? Ask the children to draw the migratory route of the geese on a world map, plotting possible feeding points and hazards during the journey. Compare your results to the BBC Radio 4 World on the Move map. Discuss what measures could be taken to ensure greater numbers of geese survive the journey. If you are in County Down, you can visit the WWT Castle Espie Wetland Centre during the Winter to see the Brent Geese arrive.
BBC Primary Focus-Strangford Lough: Brent Geese
- BBC TANDY: Natural Journeys - Brent Geese: clip 3[Flash audio]
- BBC TANDY: Strangford Lough: Brent Geese [Flash audio]
- BBC TANDY: Natural Journeys- Brent Geese [PDF: Teacher's notes and worksheets]
- BBC TANDY: Strangford Lough [Teacher's notes and worksheets]
- BBC News Plough man fined for shore damage [article]
- BBC Radio 4: World on the Move: Brent Geese: [Real Media audio]
- BBC Radio 4: World on the Move: Brent Geese fact file [article]
- WWT Castle Espie [external link: article]