village sign depicting the Pewit
a small village some 20 miles west of Norwich and four miles east
of Watton. It has a population of not much under 250.
Scattered along the B1108 it lacks the coherence of a traditional
Norfolk village, gathered round a green or other focal point such
as a school, pub or village shop.
Recorded in early writing's and the Domesday
book as Sculetuna, historically the village had three manors;
the Oldlands to the South, Newlands to the North and Burdeloss (or
Burdeleys) to the west.
There is archaeological
evidence of manor houses near the present day Wayland Farm and Abergavenney
A Roman road
is thought to run east to west along the line of the B1108.
The mere at Scoulton was once the nesting site of a huge Pewit (Black-Headed
gull) colony. Prized by the wealthy and powerful, like Henry the
VIII, their eggs were sold as Plover eggs by Lord Wayland.
the colony dispersed in the 1950s and the Mere is only the 'squat'
of members of the fishing club.
Scoulton mere is now privately owned and there is no public access
without permission. Its origin is unknown but it was part of the
'Common Land' in the village before enclosure.
Surrounded by trees, the mere is 2 miles in circumference and has
a large central island where red deer are supposed to inhabit (they
must swim across).
The eggs, being collected by Lord Weyland are depicted in the village
A village school was built in 1841 by Isaac Weyland but was
forced to close in 1985 because of falling numbers. The same fate
went of the methodist church built in 1909; it is now a private
house. The only pub in the village closed in 1957.
past most of the villagers worked on the farms. Other trades in
Scoulton included a blacksmith's, a wheel-wright, shoemakers and
Now the farms
employ few people and most travel out of the village to work and
The new village
many years fundraising, Scoulton opened a new village hall in 1992
which is used regularly by the Parish Council, Women's Institute
and other local people for social gatherings.
of the Holy Trinity
The church dates mostly to the 14th century and stands at the
meeting of the three manors. Inside are reminders of some of the
most significant landowners.
In the north window of the chancel are the arms of William de Mortimer.
There also hangs a hatchment of the Wayland Arms and a marble wall
tablet records members of the Daye (or d'Eye) family.
courtesy of Julia Grover and Margaret Marham, Scoulton
The BBC is not
responsible for the content of external Internet sites