medieval St Mary's Church in Elsing.
Wensum-side country, Elsing can be found just five miles north-east
of Dereham and 12 miles from Norwich.
is named after the Danish chieftain, Elesa ,who came across
to these shores sometime in the 9th century.
He and his wolfhound are commemorated in the village sign.
Elsing has two
notable features; its church and hall.
The moated Elsing Hall, which was restored in 1892, dates mostly
from 1470. It was built by Sir Hugh Hastings.
Sir Hugh was a Roman Catholic, and at the time of the Reformation
in the 16th century, the house was used as a hiding place for priests.
village church of St Mary has the widest pillarless nave
of any church in East Anglia and its font was featured in
the Great Exhibition of 1851.
It also contains a magnificent brass of Sir Hugh and although parts
are missing, it remains one of the finest examples of church brasses
landmark is Elsing Mill which is still functioning and can
be found beside the road between Elsing and Bawdeswell.
at Elsing Hall have water plants, old roses, a lawn with wild orchids
and a walled garden.
Elsing Hall Gardens 01362 637224. Open June to September Sundays
only between 2pm to 6pm. Admission: £3, children free.