Top 5 World Cup Screamers: the best ever World Cup goals?
- 3 June 2014
We're looking forward to the start of the Brazil World Cup by checking out some cracking "Top 5's" of past tournaments.
Over the next week, with BBC Sport, we'll bring you some of the most incredible moments you might not have seen from World Cup history.
Today, it's the Top 5 Screamers - goals from long range you won't believe...
The Top 5 Screamers
- Soviet Union v France 1986 - Vasili Rats gets a perfectly weighted pass for him to smash the ball into the right corner of the goal, shocking the France side.
- England v Mexico 1966 - England's Bobby Charlton takes the ball from near the half-way line and runs down the centre, hitting a shot across the right side of the keeper. England won 2-0, and went on to win the World Cup.
- Germany v Costa Rica 2006 - Germany's Torsten Frings picks up the ball on the edge of the box and hits a right-footed shot that bends past the keeper. Germany went on to win 4-2, ending the tournament in third place.
- Brazil v Italy 1978 - Nelinho of Brazil gets the ball on the right of goal and bends it in the opposite corner with the outside of his boot. Brazil beat Italy 2-1 but failed to make the final, finishing in third place.
- Netherlands v Uruguay 2010 - Giovanni Van Bronckhorst gets the ball from far out and hits a left-footed screamer in off the post. Netherlands beat Uruguay 3-2 to make the final where they narrowly lost to Spain, who won 1-0 to lift the cup.