School meal poisons children in India

A family with two sick children

A lot of children at a school in India are seriously ill, and many have died, after eating a meal which was poisonous.

Officials in the Saran district say 22 children have died after eating the food.

It happened at a government school in the village of Masrakh, and the meal had been delivered there as part of the Mid-Day Meal Scheme, which is a project to provide free school meals.

Early investigations suggest the food had traces of a chemical called organo-phosphorus, which is usually used as a pest control.

Nobody can say yet how it ended up in the food.

Remember this is a very rare incident and you don't need to worry, but if you are upset by the news read our guide.

More on This Story

  • Newsround logoWatch Newsround

    Watch the latest update from Newsround, CBBC's news programme for children.

Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.