Video: Meteor falls over Russia
A meteor has fallen over Russia - injuring almost 1000 people and damaging buildings.
Asteroids, meteors and meteorites
- Asteroids are small bodies that orbit the Sun as the Earth does
- Larger asteroids are called planetoids or minor planets, smaller ones often called meteoroids
- Once any of these enters our planet's atmosphere, it becomes a meteor
- Many meteors break into pieces or burn up entirely as they speed through the atmosphere
- Once meteors or fragments actually impact the surface, they become meteorites
Most of those people hurt only suffered minor cuts and bruises but windows were blown out of buildings.
A fireball was seen racing through the sky above the Russian city of Yekaterinburg, followed by loud bangs.
Reports say that the meteor landed in a lake near Chebarkul, a town in the neighbouring Chelyabinsk region.
Thousands of rescue workers have now arrived in the area to provide help.
Officials say fragments falling from a large meteor that partially burned up in the lower atmosphere caused the damage.
Debris also reportedly fell on the west Siberian region of Tyumen.