Dog saved after swallowing Christmas fairy lights

Charlie the dog

A dog has been saved by vets after swallowing his owner's Christmas lights in Southampton!

Charlie's owner became worried after noticing bits of wire in the seven-year-old crossbreed's poo.

X-ray of Charlie the dog X-ray shows the fairy lights in Charlie's stomach

An X-ray cast light on the problem - tangled remains of fairy lights inside Charlie's stomach.

Vets rushed to perform life-saving surgery on Charlie, who's now back home and fully recovered.

Charlie the dog Charlie had also eaten a shoelace

It's not the first time Charlie's eaten something he shouldn't have!

Owner Sharon Fay recalled: "Back in March he ate one of my scarves and needed an operation to remove it, but I thought it was just a one-off."

Vet Sophie Bell from animal charity PDSA said: "Over the years I've seen plenty of cases of dogs swallowing strange objects - socks, dummies, rubber ducks.

"But it's the first time any of us have treated a dog that has actually eaten fairy lights."

PDSA is advising pet owners to be extra cautious this Christmas and to keep things like festive decorations and toys out of reach.

More on This Story

  • Newsround logoWatch Newsround

    Watch the latest update from Newsround, CBBC's news programme for children.

Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.