Boy survives bite from by world's most venomous snake

Watch Ricky's report on venomous snakes

A teenage boy in Australia is alive but seriously ill in hospital after being bitten by the world's most venomous snake.

The 17-year-old was struck on his left hand by an Inland Taipan snake in Kurri Kurri, near Sydney.

One drop of the snake's venom would usually be enough to kill 100 people!

Doctors say quick treatment with anti-venom almost certainly helped to save the boy's life.

Police are investigating how he got bitten and whether he'd been keeping the snake as a pet, which is against the law.

Local reports say he arrived at hospital with a friend carrying the snake in a plastic tub.

Shy creature

The Inland Taipan can grow up to two metres long and is native to Australia.

It's actually a shy creature that lives in remote areas, so encounters with humans are unusual.

The snake will now be sent to a reptile breeding programme.

More on This Story

  • Watch NewsroundWatch Newsround

    Watch the latest update from Newsround, CBBC's news programme for children.

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.