Meet Mr Bacon Double Cheeseburger

A picture of Mr Bacon Double Cheeseburger with a very big burger

Simon Smith from north London is one of the many people each year who decide to change their names by deed poll.

More unusually, he chose to change his name to Bacon Double Cheeseburger.

You would think a man who uses his name to pay tribute to fast food wouldn't be overly bothered by references to his past moniker.

You would be wrong.

"Tweets from a man called Bacon Double Cheeseburger correcting a newspaper about his birth name.
Image caption Bacon Double Cheeseburger: "You got my name wrong, it was Simon Smith"

London newspaper The Evening Standard interviewed Mr Cheeseburger about his decision to adopt a beefy new moniker (it had a lot to do with being in the pub), but it seems they were paying so much attention to his delicious new name they forgot to check his birth name.

They mistakenly called him Sam Smith, which according to Mr Cheeseburger, would be a ridiculous name.

Sorry Sam.

Sam Smith singing in concert
Image caption Sam Smith is probably singing "what's wrong with my name?" here. Probably

Perhaps the hassle was worth it though, it looks like he could be going on a beefy tour of Britain's burger restaurants.

So does his new name cause him problems with work or travel?

"Surprisingly no," Mr Cheeseburger tells Newsbeat.

He currently works as a consultant for the oil and gas industry and says: "My work speaks for itself... people keep hiring me."

It's not Bacon Double Cheeseburger on his CV though.

"I usually drop that bombshell after the contracts have been signed," he says.

Despite his hassle-free name change, he does have a warning for anyone who fancies changing their name to Chicken Caesar Salad.

"On the side of beer bottles it says drink responsibly for a reason, think carefully before you do it."

Despite all of that, people do still call him Bacon. "My dad included," he adds.

A picture of a burger

What is a deed poll?

Anyone over 18 can start using a new name at any time but to apply for official documents such as a passport or driving licence you'll need a legal document called a deed poll.

For a fee you can put your name on public record by "enrolling it" at The Royal Courts of Justice.

Alternatively you can make your own deed poll, but some record-holders will only accept a new name that's been 'enrolled' using the official forms.

The process is slightly different if you were born in Scotland; you apply to the National Records of Scotland who will charge a recording fee.

How much does it cost?

Making your own deed poll is free, but the more widely accepted official method of enrolling your new name at the Royal Courts of Justice costs £36.

Specialist agencies or solicitors will also charge a fee to make a deed poll for you.

In Scotland a change of name is subject to a recording fee of £40, but families who are all changing their name together can pay an additional £10 per family member instead of paying the full fee for each person.

For more stories like this one you can now download the BBC Newsbeat app straight to your device. For iPhone go here. For Android go here.