Chris Brown is banned from leaving Philippines over row with Christian group

Chris Brown

Chris Brown has denied doing any anything wrong after being stopped from leaving the Philippines over a row with a Christian group.

Iglesia ni Cristo (Church of Christ) has filed a complaint of fraud.

They say he did not turn up to a gig in the capital on 31 December last year.

"Can somebody please tell me what... is going on? I don't know. I'm reading headline after headline," Brown says in a video that has since been removed from his Instagram.

"I didn't do nothing," he says in a second video post, while raising both hands in the air.

Chris Brown

The 26-year-old was stopped from leaving Manila on Wednesday, a day after performing at a concert there.

The videos seem to show him in a hotel, surrounded by snacks and people on sofas covered in blankets.

The justice department says he should have turned up to a New Year's Eve concert at an indoor arena owned by Iglesia ni Cristo.

Brown must prove there are no grounds to charge him with fraud before he is allowed to leave the country, the immigration bureau says.

US reports claim that Brown has left the Philippines for Hong Kong but this is not the case, Bureau of Immigration spokeswoman Elaine Tan tells news agency AFP.

Chris Brown

State prosecutors are investigating the complaint.

Iglesia ni Cristo and representatives for Brown are yet to make a comment.

The Philippines is a Catholic country with many conservative religious groups.

Both Zayn Malik and Louis Tomlinson had to pay 200,000 peso ($4,500) each in bonds in March, before One Direction were allowed to perform in Manila, because they were known to have used marijuana in the past.

Lady Gaga's show was censored in 2012 after some religious groups accused her of using blasphemous imagery.

Follow @BBCNewsbeat on Twitter, BBCNewsbeat on Instagram, Radio1Newsbeat on YouTube and you can now follow BBC_Newsbeat on Snapchat