The X Factor: Shame to scrap Overs says Melanie Masson
X Factor singer Melanie Masson says it would be a shame if the Overs category was scrapped.
The 44-year-old, voted out on Sunday, said it gave "an amazing opportunity to anyone over the age of 28".
She added: "Whether or not an Over wins, it still gives opportunities, opens doors. It's an amazing platform."
Some Twitter users have suggested the category should go, saying that most people who vote are under 30 and less likely to choose older acts.
But Melanie said the Overs gave people belief to go after their dreams no matter what their age was.
She said: "Whether you're a plumber, nurse - you don't have to be a singer - that if you want to do something you still can."
The Glasgow-born singer also denied being bitter at being voted off while other acts, like Rylan Clark, survived for a second week.
'Ray of sunshine'
Gary Barlow has criticised Rylan's vocal ability but Melanie called the Essex singer a "lovely guy, a ray of sunshine".
Melanie said: "If you heard him sing the start of Back For Good he has got a nice voice.
"He might surprise some people in future. I think he's turning things around.
"I think there's a lot of affection for him. A lot of the negativity has turned around."
Gary Barlow has now lost two acts in the first two live shows after Carolynne Poole, also in the Overs category, was controversially voted off last week.
But Melanie said rumours the Take That singer wanted to quit the show were wide of the mark.
"He's not the sort of person to walk out on his acts," she said.
"I think as along as he has Kye (Sones) and Chris (Maloney) he won't desert them, he'll stay for them."