Clubbers 'still using' banned drug mephedrone
A new survey suggests that clubbers are still taking the drug mephedrone, nearly a year after its UK ban.
A poll for the dance music magazine Mixmag, seen by BBC Radio 5 Live, found one in four of those questioned had taken the drug in the last month.
33% said the ban has had no effect on their use while another 10% said they have increased the amount they take since it was made illegal in April 2010.
But the online survey of 2,500 readers also suggested the price of the drug has doubled and it is now more likely to be cut with other chemicals.
- Also known as meph, 4-MMC, MCAT, Drone, Meow and Bubbles
- Normally snorted, though also found in pills and capsules
- Reported side effects include headaches, palpitations, nausea, cold or blue fingers
- Long term effect of taking drug unknown
- One in four clubbers surveyed in Mixmag had taken it in the last month
- Almost half of users take the same amount or more since it was made illegal