Mass Effect 2 wins 'game of year' at Golden Joysticks
Mass Effect 2 has won the ultimate game of the year at this year's Golden Joystick awards.
Other winners at the gaming industry's biggest event include popular titles such as Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 and Final Fantasy XIII.
Mass Effect 2 also won role-playing game (RGP) of the year with tower defence game Plants vs. Zombies also taking home two prizes.
The winners are voted for by UK fans and the event is now in its 28th year.
FULL LIST OF WINNERS
- Action game of the year: Assassin's Creed II
- Game On Shooter of the year: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
- Racing game of the year: Forza Motorsport 3
- RPG of the year: Mass Effect 2
- Puzzle game of the year: World of Goo
- Fighting game of the year: Super Street Fighter 4
- Sports game of the year: FIFA 10
- Strategy game of the year: Plants vs. Zombies
- Music game of the year: Guitar Hero 5
- Online game of the year: League of Legends
- Downloadable game of the year: Plants vs. Zombies
- Portable game of the year: Pokemon Heart Gold/ Soul Silver
- Soundtrack of the year: Final Fantasy XIII
- One to watch: Call of Duty: Black Ops
- UK Developer of the year: Jagex
- Ultimate game of the year: Mass Effect 2
Spread across 16 categories, other winners at this year's Golden Joysticks included Assassin's Creed II (action game), FIFA 10 (sports game) with Call of Duty: Black Ops bagging the 'one to watch' prize.
Racing game of the year went to Forza Motorsport 3, Super Street Fighter 4 won the fighting game award and Guitar Hero 5 was voted music game of the year.
The portable game prize went to Pokemon Heart Gold/ Soul Silver, League of Legends picked up online game of the year and World of Goo was voted puzzle game of the year.
Cambridge-based firm Jagex, behind titles such as online multiplayer RuneScape and strategy game War of Legends, picked up the UK developer of the year prize.
The Golden Joysticks began in 1982 with Jetpac winning the first ultimate game of the year, an award handed out by former Radio 1 DJ Dave Lee Travis.
Other winners have included video game classics such as Fallout 3, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and Grand Theft Auto.
Last year the Golden Joysticks made it into the Guinness Record Books as the world's most popular video game awards.
To qualify for an award games had to be released between May 2009 and May 2010, except for the 'one to watch'.
This year more than 1.5 million votes were cast with the awards hosted by US comedian Rich Hall at London's Park Plaza Westminster Bridge hotel.