What is mephedrone?
Mephedrone has been made illegal with a ban coming into force today (16 April).
It means anyone caught with it could be sent to prison. Police have already said they'll be tragetting dealers.
All we can say is [mephedrone] is probably as harmful as ecstasy and amphetamines and wait until we have some better scientific evidence to support that
Les King, former government drugs advisor
- Also known as meph, 4-MMC, MCAT, Drone, Meow and Bubbles
- Often sold online as plant food marked "not for human consumption"
- Normally snorted, though also found in pills and capsules
- Reported side effects include headaches, palpitations, nausea, cold or blue fingers
- Long term effect of taking drug unknown