What is legal high mephedrone?
Clubbers may be switching from ecstasy and cocaine to the powerful legal high mephedrone, according to new research.
Little is known about the powder, which has gone from nowhere to fourth position in a study of clubbers' drug taking habits.
All we can say is [mephedrone] is probably as harmful as ecstasy and amphetamines and wait until we have some better scientific evidence to support that
Les King, former government drugs advisor
- Also known as meph, 4-MMC, MCAT, Drone, Meow and Bubbles
- Often sold online as plant food marked "not for human consumption"
- Normally snorted, though also found in pills and capsules
- Reported side effects include headaches, palpitations, nausea, cold or blue fingers
- Long term effect of taking drug unknown
- 41.7% of clubbers in Mixmag survey had tried the drug
- 33.6% had taken it in the last month