In pictures: Thor: Dark World has Hollywood premiere
Page last updated at 12:01 GMT, Tuesday, 5 November 2013
- Thor: The Dark World has had its premiere in Hollywood. Chris Hemsworth plays the lead role. It marks his third outing as Thor after the original film in 2011 and his appearance in The Avengers last year. In the sequel, Thor has spent the last two years restoring order to the nine realms of the cosmos. But just as peace settles, a previously locked-away dark energy called the Aether seeps out. It leaks into Jane Foster, the character played by Natalie Portman, and wakes up a previously vanquished species of Dark Elves.
- To defeat the Dark Elves, Thor asks for help from his adoptive brother, Loki - played by British actor Tom Hiddleston - who's been imprisoned for killing thousands of humans in New York.
- Thor's battle partner, and potential love interest Sif, is played by Jaimie Alexander. She said she's been prepared for the physical demands of the role since she was a child. "I did try to be in a theatre class and I couldn't sing, so they kicked me out. I went into sports and I started wrestling. I now train young women in self-defence. It prepared me for the training I had to endure in this movie," she said.
- Sir Anthony Hopkins, who resumes his role as Thor's father Odin, said the secret to his success is taking care of his health as he walked the red carpet with his family. "Stay fit, stay off the cookies, don't eat rice and pasta, don't eat sweets," he said. "So I have to be very disciplined, stay fit and strong and avoid all those bad foods."
- Jaimie Alexander (Sif), Zachary Levi (Fandral), Kat Dennings (Darcy Lewis), Tom Hiddleston (Loki), Chris Hemsworth (Thor), Sir Anthony Hopkins (Odin) and Ray Stevenson (Volstagg) met up on the red carpet for a group shot.
- Director Alan Taylor also made an appearance at the premiere. He's also due to direct the fifth movie in the Terminator franchise but is most famous for his TV hits, which include selected episodes of Six Feet Under, The Sopranos, Mad Men, Game of Thrones and Sex and the City.
- Stan Lee is the co-creator of many of Marvel's comic book superheroes, which Thor is based on. They include Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four, the X-Men, Iron Man and the Hulk. In Thor: The Dark World, Lee makes a cameo appearance.
- Chris Hemsworth's brother Liam was also there to support him. His latest film, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, is out this month as well. Chris Hemsworth was asked if there was any brotherly box office competition. "No. We have nothing to do with it," said Chris. "You know there seems to be a following for both, so we're both lucky to be a part of it."
- British actress Karen Gillan (centre) was at the premiere showing off a cropped haircut, which is for her next role. The Doctor Who star is due to appear in another Marvel Comics film next year - Guardians of the Galaxy - in which she'll play Nebula. Nashville actress Chloe Bennet (left) plays Skye in Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and Natasha Henstridge also put in an appearance.