Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are expecting first child
Page last updated at 16:50 GMT, Monday, 3 December 2012
- The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have announced that they are expecting their first child. The news was revealed after Kate was taken to hospital with acute morning sickness. Prime Minister David Cameron wrote on Twitter: "I'm delighted by the news. They will make wonderful parents."
- William and Kate were married at Westminster Abbey in April 2011. It was watched on television by millions of people around the world. They were also cheered by 500,000 well-wishers who gathered outside the palace, as RAF planes flew past in honour of the new royal couple.
- Prince William revealed that he gave Kate Middleton his late mother Princess Diana's engagement ring. He said he proposed using the ring as he wanted to make sure she "didn't miss out on the excitement".
- The pair got engaged in October 2010 during a private holiday in Kenya. That month they also attended a wedding of friends in Gloucestershire.
- Kate Middleton was Prince William's flatmate at the University of St Andrews before becoming his girlfriend. She appeared in the media for the first time when she modelled for a university charity fashion show in a mesh dress in March 2002.
- Prince William was in the audience for the show. He paid £200 to watch Kate modelling a sheer black lace dress over a black bra and bikini bottoms on the catwalk. Kate Middleton was thought to be his first serious girlfriend.
- Their romance was first revealed in 2004 after they were pictured together. Kate Middleton was in the audience for Prince William's passing out ceremony at Sandhurst in 2006.
- Prince Harry joined Prince William and Kate Middleton on a trip to watch the Six Nations Championship rugby match between England and Italy at Twickenham in February 2007. The couple sat close together and chatted and laughed throughout the game.
- A few weeks later and Prince William and Kate Middleton were in the paddock enclosure at Cheltenham races. It was the first day of the Cheltenham Festival. A month later the couple confirmed they had split up.
- But by the summer the talk was that the royal romance was getting back on track. In July 2007 Kate joined Prince William at the Concert for Diana at Wembley Stadium, though they kept their distance.
- After being spotted on nights out, in April 2008 Kate was at Prince William's side at his graduation ceremony from the RAF. Royal watchers suggested it meant the couple's relationship had the approval of senior royals.