In pictures: Stars appear at MTV Europe Music awards
Page last updated at 10:52 GMT, Monday, 12 November 2012
- Taylor Swift picked up three award at this year's MTV Europe Music Awards (EMAs). She beat Rihanna, Katy Perry, Pink and Nicki Minaj to the best female award. She said: "I am so excited I can't believe you gave me three awards."
- Justin Bieber could not make it to the awards, held in Frankfurt, despite winning three gongs. He beat Kanye West, Flo Rida, Pitbull and Jay-Z to the best male prize for the second year in a row.
- Fellow Canadian Carly Rae Jepsen was on hand to pick up her award for best song. She was up against Rihanna, Gotye, Pitbull and Fun. Reality star Kim Kardashian, who tripped as she walked out on stage, handed her the prize.
- American singer/songwriter Lana Del Rey was named best alternative act. She also handed Taylor Swift her best female artist prize. She said: "It's just funny that they even nominated me." Eurovision winner Loreen and Brit singer Conor Maynard were also there.
- Rita Ora opened the show in Germany with a performance of her single R.I.P. She was lowered to the stage suspended in a cage. She had been nominated for best new act but lost out to One Direction.
- Muse also performed at the event as did The Killers, Carly Rae Jepsen, Fun (right), Alicia Keys, No Doubt, Pitbull and multiple award winner Taylor Swift. Muse missed out in the best live act category to Taylor Swift.
- Psy travelled to Germany to pick up his award for best video. At the ceremony he also performed Gangnam Style with dozens of lookalike dancers. He thanked his fans and his family for living with "a selfish job with a selfish guy".
- The cast of Geordie Shore named Justin Bieber the best male act of the night. Former Baywatch and Knight Rider actor David Hasselhoff, who has had two number one singles in Germany, also put in an appearance at the awards.
- Former X Factor contestants Jedward weren't nominated in any category but attended the EMAs. Last year's awards in Belfast was the event's most watched show ever with more than 39 million viewers worldwide.
- The Jonas Brothers were at the awards to hand best worldwide act to Chinese singer Han Geng. Supermodel and local girl Heidi Klum, who performed Gangnam Style with Psy, was this year's host.