In pictures: X Factor finalists 2012
Page last updated at 10:09 GMT, Monday, 1 October 2012 11:09 UK
- Tulisa picked Lucy Spraggan and Jade Ellis to be two of her female finalists for the X Factor live shows. Lucy Spraggan impressed at the first audition by singing a track she wrote herself.
- Jahmene Douglas and James Arthur impressed singer Nicole Scherzinger enough to become two of her acts for the boys group.
- Melanie Masson and Carolynne Poole made it through to be two of Gary Barlow's over-28s. Carolynne also appeared in judges' houses last year but was sent home before the live finals by Louis Walsh.
- Rylan Clark cried hysterically when Nicole Scherzinger told him she had chosen him as one of her boys. Ella Henderson performed a self-penned song at her first audition and was picked by Tulisa to complete the girls.
- Groups MK1 and Union J were selected by Louis Walsh. MK1's third original member, Will, was told by the judges the group would only get past the first audition if he left, while Triple J became Union J after George Shelley joined them.
- Kye Sones is Gary Barlow's third finalist for the over-28s while GMD3 made it through to Louis Walsh's groups. GMD3 have announced that they are looking to change their name as they are worried it is not memorable enough.
- Christopher Maloney and Times Red have been given a second chance after not making it past judges' houses. They will be up for a public vote to decide the 13th "wild card" finalist.
- Amy Mottram and Adam Burridge are the two other acts up for the audience wild card vote. It will be revealed in the first live show on Saturday who has been voted back into the competition.