Black Sabbath and Soundgarden close Download festival
- 11 June 2012
- From the section Music
A re-formed Black Sabbath brought this year's Download rock festival to a close at Donington Park.
The band included three of the four original members, with only drummer Bill Ward not appearing on stage.
Singer Ozzy Osbourne, guitarist Tony Iommi, bassist Geezer Butler and Tommy Clufetos played a set packed with Black Sabbath hits including War Pigs, Paranoid and Sweet Leaf.
The band are bringing out a new album next year with a world tour planned.
Seattle band Soundgarden, who reunited in 2010, performed their first UK show for 15 years as second headliners on the main stage at Download.
The band played songs including Spoonman, Black Hole Sun and Rusty Cage but left out some well known tracks like Superunknown.
Front man Chris Cornell said on stage that he was almost more excited about seeing Black Sabbath play than performing with his band.
He admitted every American band wanted to play at Donington Park once.
He said: "If you're in a rock band or you're a fan, it's pretty well documented as being the big hard rock festival worldwide. It's the one.
"I played Download three years ago on a solo tour and it was great. It stood out as being one of the best festival shows I'd had, certainly that year."
Other acts who appeared on Sunday (10 June) included Rise Against, Megadeth, Anthrax, Ugly Kid Joe, Lamb of God and Black Label Society.
Download organiser Andy Copping said the 10th anniversary festival had been the best yet.
He also backed the inclusion of Chase & Status on the line-up after some negative fan reaction.
"We've got to take risks now and again otherwise the festival is just going to roll over and die," he said.
"What we've had to do with the line-ups over the years is make sure that we do push the boundaries a little bit.
"We're a rock festival but every now and again we have to widen the scope."
Andy Copping also revealed that one of next year's headliners had already been signed up with the second due to be finalised in the next few weeks.
He said the line-up would be revealed when all three headliners were in place.
Next year's festival will take place between 14 and 16 June.
A new deposit scheme has also been launched for 2013 which will allow festival-goers to pay in instalments for the first time.
More than 100,000 people attended this year's event.
Listen to a Download special on Radio 1 from 9pm tonight (11 June) with Daniel P. Carter