In pictures: See stars of the new Les Miserables film
Page last updated at 15:26 GMT, Thursday, 31 May 2012 16:26 UK
- Anne Hathaway chops off her hair for film Les Miserables (Les Mis). The actress plays Fantine, a struggling factory worker and mum of illegitimate child. Her role sees her eventually turn to prostitution.
- Amanda Seyfried plays the illegitimate daughter of Anne Hathaway's character. She falls in love with Marius, played by Eddie Redmayne (right), who has modelled for Burberry, been in a lot of theatre and was in last year's film My Week with Marilyn.
- Isle of Man actress Samantha Barks plays Eponine, a girl in love with Eddie Redmayne's character in the film. The 21-year-old came third in BBC talent show I'd Do Anything in 2008.
- X-Men actor Hugh Jackman has the starring role of Jean Valjean, a Frenchman released from prison after 19 years for stealing bread.
- Russell Crowe plays a police inspector who dedicates his life to imprisoning Hugh Jackman's character. The Dictator comedian Sacha Baron Cohen also has a role as an inn-keeper.
- The movie Les Miserables is based on the famous stage musical and classic novel by Victor Hugo set in 19th Century France. The director of the film version, Tom Hooper, also won an Oscar for The King's Speech. The movie was shot in Paris, London, Winchester and Portsmouth.