Stars turn out for annual Met Costume gala in New York
Page last updated at 10:57 GMT, Tuesday, 8 May 2012 11:57 UK
- Beyonce dressed up for one of the most glamorous nights of the year in America, the Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute gala in New York. She wore a sheer black gown with beading and a purple ostrich-feather hemline.
- Chris Martin's wife and Hollywood actress Gwyneth Paltrow wore a steel-blue Prada dress with heavily embellished pockets. Other stars at the event included Jessica Biel, Justin Timberlake and Sarah Jessica Parker.
- Glee star Lea Michele turned up in a blue gown by Diane von Furstenberg while Twilight actress Kristen Stewart wore a red, black and purple skirt. Gossip Girl's Leighton Meester modelled a gold embroidered illusion dress by Marchesa.
- Rihanna wore a black leather gown with crocodile-style embossing by designer Tom Ford.
- Christina Ricci posed with designer Thakoon Panichgul on the red carpet and wore one of his designs.
- Singer Florence Welch with a cream-coloured, organza tiered dress and Hollywood actress Cate Blanchett with a black feather gown with ostrich hem, both wore designs by Alexander McQueen's Sarah Burton.
- Glee's Cory Monteith wore a Calvin Klein tuxedo while Twilight actress Ashley Greene turned out in an off-the-shoulder Grecian gown by Donna Karan. British star of Gossip Girl, Ed Westwick, was there too.
- Jonas Brothers wore matching suits to the Met Gala. Top US designer Tommy Hilfiger describes the event as the "super bowl of fashion". Other A-list stars in attendance included Renee Zellweger, Eva Mendes and Uma Thurman.
- Cameron Diaz wore a long-sleeve, crystal-fringe embroidered gown by Stella McCartney, while Brit star Emily Blunt modelled a salmon pink gown with cutouts by Francisco Costa for Calvin Klein. Kate Bosworth also put in an appearance.
- Givenchy designer Riccardo Tisci dressed Kanye West (pictured) as well as Liv Tyler, Rooney Mara, Alicia Keys and Beyonce.
- British model Rosie Huntington-Whiteley wore a black dress by Burberry, while singer Lana Del Rey covered up an Altuzarra metallic strapless creation with a floor-length cape. Model Anja Rubik wore a white Anthony Vaccarello gown.
- Singer Bruno Mars also put in an appearance at the New York event.