In pictures: Oscars ceremony 2012
Page last updated at 07:33 GMT, Monday, 27 February 2012
- Meryl Streep and Jean Dujardin pose with their Oscars statues after picking up the best actor and actress awards for starring in The Iron Lady and The Artist. The silent film was the big winner of the night and also picked up best picture and director.
- Brad Pitt was up for best actor for his part in Moneyball. He didn't win but along with wife Angelina Jolie attracted plenty of attention from fans and photographers on the red carpet. Martin Scorsese's 3D fantasy film Hugo also won five Oscars in technical categories.
- Angelina Jolie's Versace velvet dress showed off the actress's right leg as she presented the best original screenplay award.
- Sacha Baron Cohen arrived at the ceremony dressed as his new character Admiral General Aladeen from The Dictator. He claimed to be carrying the ashes of former North Korean leader Kim Jong-Il. He was escorted off the carpet by security when he poured the "ashes" on the floor.
- Michelle Williams, partner of the late Heath Ledger, was another of the many stars and celebrities at Hollywood's biggest night. She was up for the best actress award for playing Marilyn Monroe in My Week with Marilyn. She was beaten by Meryl Streep though.
- Another one of Hollywood's leading men, George Clooney, was at the Oscars with girlfriend Stacy Kiebler - who strangely enough used to be a professional wrestler. Clooney was also in the running for best actor for The Descendants, but lost out to Jean Dujardin and The Artist.
- The famous Oscars after-parties kicked off at the end of the ceremony. One of the most high-profile is held by Vanity Fair magazine and David and Victoria Beckham looked every bit the celebrity couple.
- Ben Stiller and Diddy were also at the bash and shared a laugh as they posed for the paparazzi. Diddy, real name Sean Combs, was celebrating winning an Oscar himself. He was executive producer on Undefeated, which won best documentary.