Jason Derulo cancels tour after fracturing his neck

  • 6 January 2012
  • From the section Music
Jason Derulo
Derulo posted a photo of himself in hospital on his official Facebook page

Jason Derulo has cancelled his upcoming UK tour after injuring his neck.

The singer said: "To all my fans who planned to come to the Future History World tour, the pain of letting you down cuts me way deeper than this injury I've sustained.

"My fans mean everything to me, so I'm praying for a speedy recovery in order to perform for you in the near future."

Fans who had bought tickets for the live shows in February and March will be refunded.

Derulo was taken to hospital on Tuesday after fracturing his neck during tour rehearsals.

He has now been released from hospital but will have to wear a neck brace for the next few months.

A statement from the singer's record label said: "While executing an acrobatic move, Derulo landed directly on his head, and suffered an acute fracture to his vertebrae.

"After being rushed to hospital in Miami, he was told by doctors that the accident could have left him paralyzed."

On Wednesday, Derulo posted a photo on his official Facebook page of himself in hospital wearing a neck brace.

The singer tweeted: "I fractured my neck doing tumbling & acrobatics 4 tour! Always tryin 2 push boundaries 4 YOU! Like my new chain?" (sic)

The UK leg of Jason Derulo's tour had been due to begin in Glasgow on 23 February and finish with a date in Newcastle on 3 March.

The 22-year-old has had top five hits in the UK singles chart with In My Head, Whatcha Say, Ridin' Solo and Don't Wanna Go Home.

His latest album, Future History, was released in September.

In October, Jason Derulo played live at BBC Radio 1's Teen Awards at Wembley Arena.

In the same month, he co-hosted the Mobo (Music Of Black Origin) Awards with Alesha Dixon.