Amy Winehouse's life in pictures
Page last updated at 20:09 GMT, Saturday, 23 July 2011 21:09 UK
- Amy Winehouse has died at her London flat at age of 27. Ambulance crews and police went to the singer's flat in Camden, north London, just before 4 o'clock on Saturday (23 July) but paramedics were unable to save her life.
- Amy Winehouse was born in the Southgate area of north London on 14 September 1983. After attending various different schools, she signed to Simon Fuller's 19 Management in 2002. She released her debut album, Frank, in 2003.
- In 2004, the singer won the Ivor Novello songwriting award for best contemporary song with Stronger Than Me. She was also nominated for the Mercury music prize that year but lost out to Franz Ferdinand.
- But the singer's career really took off in 2006, when she released the first single (Rehab) from her second and final album Back To Black. It reached number seven in the UK singles chart but pushed her into the mainstream.
- Amy Winehouse began the following year by winning a Brit award picking up best British female. Winehouse was again nominated for the Mercury Prize, but again lost out to Klaxons. She made up for it by winning five Grammy awards.
- In 2007 she also appeared at Glastonbury but despite the success, cracks started to show in her private life. She appeared to be drunk during an episode of BBC Two show Never Mind The Buzzcocks.
- Then in May 2007 she secretly married boyfriend Blake Fielder-Civil during a trip to Florida. Six months later he was arrested and accused of inflicting grievous bodily harm. The pair divorced in 2009.
- Then at the beginning of 2008, Amy Winehouse went into rehab after a newspaper published pictures of a woman they claimed was her, allegedly smoking crack cocaine.
- Amy Winehouse's father Mitch began to look after the singer after she left rehab in 2008. She performed at Nelson Mandela's 90th birthday celebrations but was criticised after her appearance at that year's Glastonbury festival.
- She tried to make several comebacks, most recently in Serbia last month. But she pulled out of her entire European tour after she was jeered for appearing to be too drunk to perform. She died on Saturday 23 July 2011.