In pictures: Newquay Boardmasters surf and music festival
Page last updated at 12:25 GMT, Thursday, 5 August 2010 13:25 UK
- The Boardmasters event is in full swing in Newquay - the five day sport and music festival got off to a cloudy start on the first day though.
- But that didn't stop the action kicking off with some of the world's best surfers enjoying reliable 3-4ft waves throughout the day.
- Taking shelter from the wind - these spectators had the right idea bringing along a tent. The festival also includes live music, with acts like Chase and Status, Plan B and Tinie Tempah.
- Marc Lacomare, the European Junior Champion, got the highest single scoring wave of the opening day (8.50).
- Newcastle's Sam Lamiroy also booked himself a place in the next round of the competition, as did Russell Winter - the UK's most successful surfer.
- New Zealand's Jay Quinn also put in a good performance, scoring 15.00 and qualifying top in his heat.
- Lifeguard trucks keep a look out over the beach at Newquay. The surf competition goes on until 8 August, while the live music takes place this Friday and Saturday.
- For those who like to stay on dry land, the Boardmasters features a top skateboard competition with participants up against a 40ft ramp. There's also a BMX event and a bikini babe competition.