England fan turfs his front room for World Cup
Page last updated at 06:30 GMT, Thursday, 10 June 2010 07:30 UK
- With a day to go until kick off and two days until England play the US, you've probably already seen plenty of flag-covered houses, cars and pubs. And from the outside this looks like any other house...
- ...but inside the semi-detached house in Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands, Dan Taylor has transformed his living room into a mini football pitch for the World Cup. He shares the pad with his twin brother.
- England fan Dan, who's a legal secretary, thinks he used about 100 sq ft of turf but says it only took a couple of hours to lay. "I put some flags up and I put some bunting up but I looked around the room and I just thought something was lacking."
- He admits he's not much of a gardener: "The reason I did it was obviously for the World Cup. It was simply a case of just going down the gardening centre and picking up the turf."
- Dan doesn't own a watering can either so had to improvise. He said: "It looked better on Saturday when I did it. We had a few drinks and spilt quite a few beers on the carpet. I'm not sure it'll last the World Cup."
- Despite the sign, Dan and his mates have been playing football on the new pitch already.
- The tournament hasn't even started yet but it's already looking a bit rough in places.
- Dan's mum Katherine owns the house and Newsbeat was there when he showed her the pitch for the first time. She said: "It's fantastic. He said, 'I've got something semi-good to tell you'. It's absolutely brilliant."
- Katherine took it quite well. She said: "I think it's brilliant. I'm so proud I've got such an innovative son."