Actor Patrick Swayze remembered
Page last updated at 06:55 GMT, Tuesday, 15 September 2009 07:55 UK
- Patrick Swayze made his name in TV series North And South in 1985 but shot to international stardom playing bad boy dance instructor, Johnny Castle in Dirty Dancing alongside Jennifer Grey, who took on the role of 17-year-old Frances "Baby" Houseman.
- Two years after appearing in Dirty Dancing, Patrick Swayze starred in Road House with actress Kelly Lynch. He also filmed Next Of Kin in 1989 but the films were panned by critics and both movies were nominated for Razzies in the worst actor category.
- At the height of his stardom, Patrick Swayze filmed Ghost with Demi Moore. The movie made $500m (£347m) around the world. It was nominated for several Oscars, winning two including best supporting actress for Whoopi Goldberg.
- Patrick Swayze went on to appear in 1991's Point Break but subsequent movies like To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar in 1995 never reached the commercial heights of Dirty Dancing and Ghost.
- Patrick Swayze starred with Claire Sweeney in the West End musical Guys and Dolls in 2006. He took the role of Nathan Detroit for four months with British actress Claire Sweeney playing his girlfriend Miss Adelaide.
- Patrick Swayze appears with wife Lisa Niemi and their two dogs at their ranch in New Mexico in May 2009. The actor was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in early 2008 but continued to work, appearing in US TV series The Beast. He died on 14 September 2009.