Bangladesh executes Islamist leader Abdul Kader Mullah, convicted of atrocities during the country's 1971 war of independence.
Parties in the Spanish region of Catalonia agree to hold a referendum on independence next year - but the Spanish government vows to block it.
Other Top Stories
Four former bosses from the Icelandic bank Kaupthing have been sentenced to between three and five years in prison.
A care worker at a home for the elderly in Chambery in the French Alps is arrested on suspicion of poisoning six pensioners to death.
- Fears for a future without Mandela01:56
- Nelson Mandela's body lying in state02:33
- Mandela grandson's heart 'touched'04:08
- Three ways to remember Mandela 02:28
- Cartoonist: Mandela understood satire01:31
- Outcry over Mandela memorial signer 01:45
- Mandela's impact on SA's police 03:36
- In the crowd at Mandela's memorial02:54
- Cheers for Obama, boos for Jacob Zuma00:46
- 'The people's chance to say goodbye'04:53
- Maya Angelou's poetic Mandela tribute02:31
- 'I heard freed Mandela speak at stadium'02:22
- Key speeches at memorial service01:52
- Your memories of Mandela01:57
- Mandela daughter: 'Family there at end'06:17
- 'Our nation has lost its greatest son'08:22
More News from Around the World
More from World
- Mandela interpreter defends performance01:35
- Protesters determined to stay in Kiev01:41
- Ex-Thai PM denies murder02:07
- Pope Francis named Person of the Year02:05
- Madagascar plague threat01:38
- Refugees 'burning shoes to survive'02:10
- Horror of Syria conflict revealed 02:32
- First international Tajik fashion show01:34
Features & Analysis
Pumza Fihlani's vivid account of seeing the man who made her life possible
Winter storm worsens plight of Syrian refugees
Is Kenya having a mid-life crisis as she turns 50?
Women fighting back against revenge porn websites
Ireland returns to markets after tough medicine, says Gavin Hewitt
The dancing grannies who love loud music
How the Pope has turned round the image of the Catholic Church
Elsewhere on the BBC
History mingles with folklore in Denmark's North Atlantic archipelago