Laquan McDonald death: Five arrested in protests
- 25 November 2015
- From the section US & Canada
Police in Chicago say they arrested five people on Tuesday who were protesting over a video showing a white police officer shooting a black teenager 16 times in Chicago last year.
The video, released on Tuesday, showed the 2014 shooting of Laquan McDonald, 17, by a white police officer. Police say he refused to drop a knife.
Officer Jason Van Dyke has been charged with first-degree murder in the case.
Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel has appealed for calm in the city.
Mr Van Dyke has said through his lawyer and police union he had feared for his life.
The shooting and subsequent protests have become the latest flashpoint in a national debate over violence against black men by police.
Hundreds of protesters marched through the streets of the mid-western city late on Tuesday, in what police said were largely peaceful demonstrations.
The five demonstrators that were arrested were charged with offences ranging from assaulting a police officer to weapons possession.
"It is fine to be passionate but it essential to remain peaceful," Mayor Emanuel told a news conference before the protests.
Police are bracing for more protests in the coming days.
Other deaths that made headlines
Michael Brown: Police shot the unarmed teenager in Ferguson last year, setting off huge protests and unrest nationwide
Eric Garner: Garner choked to death while under restraint by police in New York
Tamir Rice: Police shot and killed the 12-year-old in Cleveland as he brandished a toy gun
Walter Scott: A South Carolina police officer shot Scott numerous times in the back as he was running away
Freddie Gray: The 25-year-old died after sustaining a severe spinal cord injury while in the custody of police in Baltimore
A post-mortem examination showed McDonald had been shot at least twice in the back, and had hallucinogenic drugs in his system.
State prosecutor Anita Alvarez said Mr Van Dyke had not been justified in shooting the teenager.
She said McDonald had been carrying a knife when he was stopped by police in 2014 but had not been threatening them or moving towards them.
Mr Van Dyke opened fire seconds after he arrived and continued shooting at the teenager as he lay on the ground, the lawyer added.
"While we expect officers to do their jobs... there are a few bad apples who go too far and break the law," she said.
Illinois Governor Bruce Rauner has said the video is "very troubling" and he expects a strong public reaction, though he hopes it will be "thoughtful and peaceful".
The police union in Chicago had opposed the release of the video and said it would taint a trial jury.
Chicago police say McDonald threatened officers with a knife and slashed the tyres and windows of a patrol car.