Auschwitz guard, 89, arrested in US

Visitors walk through the entrance gate of the Auschwitz Nazi concentration camp in Oswiecim, southern Poland 26 January 2005 Johann Breyer admits he was a guard at Auschwitz but says he had nothing to do with thousands of deaths

Related Stories

An 89-year-old accused of aiding and abetting the killing of hundreds of thousands of Jews has been arrested.

Johann Breyer is being held without bail in Pennsylvania after Germany issued a warrant for his arrest following new evidence.

While admitting he was an Auschwitz guard, he says he was stationed outside and had nothing to do with the deaths.

His lawyer told a Philadelphia court his client was too frail to be held while awaiting extradition hearings.

But the retired toolmaker was refused bail on Wednesday after his arrest at home in Philadelphia.

Mr Breyer emigrated to the US in 1952 and during the 1990s, the US attempted to strip him of his citizenship and deport him.

But that failed when a judge ruled he was a natural-born citizen through his mother and was coerced into joining the SS as a minor.

This new probe is being led by the federal German office in charge of Nazi war crimes, which says there is new evidence, including war-era records showing he was at Auschwitz earlier than he has acknowledged.

He also allegedly guarded a notorious sub-camp used to kill prisoners exclusively, known as Birkenau, according to the New York Times.

Start Quote

The United States is anxious, of course, to be rid of all of the Nazi perpetrators who immigrated there”

End Quote Efraim Zuroff Nazi hunter

On Wednesday, he was helped into court by US Marshals and appeared to be confused at points during the hearing, the Philadelphia Daily News reported.

At one point, he leaned over to ask his lawyer who the prosecutor was as she outlined the case against him, the newspaper said.

Lawyer Dennis Boyle argued his client was too frail to be held in jail but the judge said the detention centre was equipped to care for him.

Mr Breyer is the oldest person US officials have accused of being involved in Nazi war crimes.

The Simon Wiesenthal Center's Efraim Zuroff stands in front of a poster reading "Operation last chance - late but not too late" on 23 July 2013 Posters displayed in Germany last year say "late, but not too late"

Efraim Zuroff, the head Nazi hunter at the Simon Wiesenthal Center in Jerusalem, said the 89-year-old should be extradited.

"If a country asks for him and they have a basis for the request, the United States is anxious, of course, to be rid of all of the Nazi perpetrators who immigrated there, it's a case where hopefully there will be no obstacles," Mr Zuroff told the Associated Press news agency.

He added Germany "deserves credit" for "making a final attempt to maximize the prosecution of Holocaust perpetrators".

The country opened hundreds of dormant cases on suspected war crimes three years ago.

More on This Story

Related Stories

More US & Canada stories

RSS

Features

  • Nigel Farage (left) and Douglas CarswellWho's next?

    The Tory MPs being tipped to follow Carswell to UKIP


  • A painting of the White House on fire by Tom FreemanFinders keepers

    The odd objects looted by the British from Washington in 1814


  • President Barack Obama pauses during a press conference on 28 August.'No strategy'

    Obama's gaffe on Islamic State reveals political truth


  • Chris and Regina Catrambone with their daughter Maria LuisaSOS

    The millionaires who rescue people at sea


  • Plane7 days quiz

    What unusual offence got a Frenchman thrown off a plane?


BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.