US court orders removal of anti-Islam film from YouTube

Cindy Lee Garcia, an actress in Innocence of Muslims, an anti-Islam movie attends a news conference n Los Angeles, California 20 September 2012 Cindy Lee Garcia said the producer of Innocence of Muslims had given her a different script and dubbed the offensive lines over her voice in post-production

Related Stories

A US federal court has ordered Google to remove from YouTube a crude anti-Islam film which sparked deadly riots across the Muslim world.

In a 2-1 decision, the 9th US Circuit Court of Appeals ruled in favour of an actress who said she was tricked into appearing in the film.

The film denounces the Prophet Muhammad as a fraud and worse.

The ruling turned on a copyright issue, not the film's content, which YouTube said did not violate its standards.

The clip from the film entitled Innocence of Muslims sparked violence in several places around the world in 2012. Dozens of people died in the Middle East during the protests.

The film has also been linked to the attack on a US diplomatic post in Benghazi, Libya, in which killed four Americans including the US ambassador were killed.

YouTube, which is owned by Google, had rebuffed requests to remove the film from the website, arguing only the filmmaker and not the actress, Cindy Lee Garcia, owned the copyright and thus had the authority to take the video down.

Garcia sued Google to demand the company remove the video, arguing the man behind it, Nakoula Basseley Nakoula, gave her a script that referred neither to Muslims nor to the Prophet.

'Threats'

She said her voice was dubbed over in post-production to make it appear as though she was speaking the inflammatory words.

Depicting the Prophet Muhammad in any way defies Islamic belief and offends Muslims, let alone satirising and mocking him, as the film does.

In its ruling on Wednesday, the court in San Francisco said Garcia owned the copyright to her performance because she had agreed to appear in a film far different than the one ultimately produced.

"While answering a casting call for a low-budget amateur film doesn't often lead to stardom, it also rarely turns an aspiring actress into the subject of a fatwa," Chief Judge Alex Kozinski wrote in the opinion.

"Garcia's performance was used in a way that she found abhorrent and her appearance in the film subjected her to threats of physical harm and even death. Despite these harms, and despite Garcia's viable copyright claim, Google refused to remove the film from YouTube."

Nakoula was sentenced to a year in prison in late 2012 for violating probation in a separate case, which imposed a total ban on using computers or the internet for five years.

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

More US & Canada stories

RSS

Features

  • Member of staff at The National Archives in KewFree information?

    The reaction when 13 departments were sent the same FOI request


  • Andy Murray in action in the Australian Open semi finalTeam tennis

    Why it pays for players like Murray to have an entourage


  • Dippy on display in the Hintze Hall. Photo by Nathalie DiazFarewell to Dippy

    Your stories of the most famous dinosaur in Kensington


  • Motorists make their way over Hannahstown Hill on January 29, 2015 in Belfast, In pictures

    Wintry images of UK's most widespread snow so far this year


  • Composite picture of David Cameron and Nick Clegg on separate official visitsMarginal choices?

    New funds for your town - but is visiting minister after your vote?


Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.