Toronto Mayor Rob Ford survives bid to eject him from office

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford answers questions about the three new staffers he has hired at a news conference at city hall in Toronto 31 May 2013 Ford said he had been vindicated

Related Stories

Embattled Toronto Mayor Rob Ford has survived a bid to oust him from office, after Canada's Supreme Court declined to intervene in a case against him.

Mr Ford had been accused of violating conflict-of-interest rules by voting on a bill pertaining to a charity he runs.

In November, a lower court ordered him out of office. He then won the reprieve now affirmed by the high court.

Recently, Mr Ford has grappled with unsubstantiated allegations he had been caught on video smoking crack cocaine.

He has vigorously denied the existence of such a video and that he is a drug user.

Mr Ford has refused to step down amid several staff departures and says he will run in the next mayoral election, scheduled for October 2014.

'Nothing wrong'

On Thursday, Canada's Supreme Court declined a request to hear a final appeal in the case against Mr Ford, effectively affirming an appeals court's decision that itself overturned a court ruling ordering him removed from office.

"I'm so happy this is finally over," Mr Ford said. "I've been vindicated and we can move on."

The effort by critics to have the Toronto mayor thrown out of office began when he was cited by the city's integrity commissioner for improperly using his staff in 2010 to send out solicitations for donations to a football charity he had founded.

The commissioner recommended to the city council that he repay the donations, totalling 3,150 Canadian dollars ($3,041; £1,961).

The city council took a vote on a measure rejecting the repayment order - and Mr Ford took part in that vote. He later testified he had never read the conflict-of-interest rules barring his participation and said he had done nothing wrong.

In November 2012, Ontario Superior Court Justice Charles Hackland said Mr Ford's "ignorance of the law" amounted to "wilful blindness", finding him guilty of violating conflict-of-interest rules and ordering him out of office.

Mr Ford blamed the finding against him on a crusade by "left-wing" critics. He was allowed to stay on the job while he appealed.

In January he won the appeal, which Mr Ford's critics in turn appealed to Canada's high court.

More on This Story

Related Stories

More US & Canada stories

RSS

Features

  • Nigel Farage (left) and Douglas CarswellWho's next?

    The Tory MPs being tipped to follow Carswell to UKIP


  • A painting of the White House on fire by Tom FreemanFinders keepers

    The odd objects looted by the British from Washington in 1814


  • President Barack Obama pauses during a press conference on 28 August.'No strategy'

    Obama's gaffe on Islamic State reveals political truth


  • Chris and Regina Catrambone with their daughter Maria LuisaSOS

    The millionaires who rescue people at sea


  • Plane7 days quiz

    What unusual offence got a Frenchman thrown off a plane?


BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.