US 'now using British-isms'


Which British words are now commonly used by Americans?

Speaking to the Today programme's Evan Davis, Ben Yagoda a professor of English at the University of Delaware who writes a blog about British-isms that have entered language in the States, said people use British-isms when they want to sound a "little bit different" or "clever".

Dr Lynne Murphy, a reader in linguistics at the University of Sussex and author of the blog Separated by a Common Language, said that, when it comes to a difference between British and American English, "pronunciation-wise, we are getting much further apart".

First broadcast on BBC Radio 4's Today programme on Wednesday 22 May 2013.

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.