Boston Marathon bombs: City to pay tribute to victims
- 22 April 2013
- From the section US & Canada
Boston is to hold a moment of silence for the victims of an attack on the city's marathon a week ago.
The twin bomb attack at the finish line killed three people, and injured more than 180, of whom 13 lost limbs. A funeral and a memorial service were being held for two of those who died.
Surviving suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is in hospital, unable to speak because of a wound to the throat.
US federal prosecutors are preparing charges against him.
If he is charged with using a weapon of mass destruction to kill people, he could face the death penalty.
US media quoted anonymous sources as saying he had been responding to questions in writing, but this has not been officially confirmed.
The suspect, 19, was captured on Friday evening after a huge manhunt during which his elder brother and suspected fellow bomber, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, died.
One policeman was killed and another injured during the manhunt.
Governor Deval Patrick asked Bostonians to observe a moment of silence for the victims at 14:50 local time (18:50 GMT), exactly one week after the attack.
President Barack Obama is due to observe the silence at the White House. The governors of several nearby states said they would join the tribute.
At St Joseph Church in Medford, north-west of Boston, a private funeral was being held for 29-year-old restaurant worker Krystle Campbell, who was killed at the marathon finish line after going to watch the race with a friend.
The BBC's Richard Fenton-Smith, who was outside the church, said the whole town came to a standstill for the service, with many of the hundreds of mourners arriving in coaches.
Members of the public lined the route to the chapel, waving US flags. Police officers escorted the hearse to the church, and stood outside as the bell tolled.
A memorial service was scheduled later for another victim, Lu Lingzi, a 23-year-old graduate student from China.
The third person to die in the attack was an eight-year old boy.
'Further attacks planned'
No motive for the attack has been established. The brothers, who originate from Chechnya in southern Russia, had been living in the US for about a decade.
In addition to the federal charges, prosecutors for the state of Massachusetts, which does not have the death penalty, may file their own.
It is not clear when charges will be filed.
Boston police commissioner Ed Davis said on Sunday he believed the brothers had probably been planning further attacks.
Boston's Mayor Tom Menino said he hoped the federal prosecutor for Massachusetts, Carmen Ortiz, "takes him [Dzhokhar Tsarnaev] on the federal side and throws the book at him".
Interrogators are not reading Mr Tsarnaev his Miranda rights, which guarantee the right to remain silent and the right to a lawyer.
This exception is allowed on a limited basis when the public may be in immediate danger.
Mr Tsarnaev is being treated in Boston's Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center for injuries he sustained before his capture, when he was found hiding in a boat in the back yard of a house in Watertown, a suburb of Boston.
The hospital said on Monday that his condition remained serious.
Watertown's police chief, Ed Deveau, has said he believes Dzhokhar Tsarnaev mortally injured his brother by running him over, just after their firefight with police.
It was initially reported that Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, had died of bullet and blast injuries.
US lawmakers on Sunday questioned why the FBI had failed to spot the danger from Tamerlan Tsarnaev after Russia had asked the US agency to question him two years ago.
Tamerlan spent several months in Chechnya, and in the neighbouring Russian republic of Dagestan, last year.