Boston marathon: More details emerge about the victims
The Boston Marathon bombings on Monday 15 April left three people dead - two women and an eight-year-old boy.
More than 170 people were injured by the twin blasts near the marathon finishing line, while one police officer was killed and another seriously injured during the operation to catch the suspects, Dzhokhar and Tamerlan Tsarnaev.
Most of the damage was inflicted on spectators crowded near the finish line, rather than on runners.
Martin Richard was standing with his family, cheering the runners as they completed the race. The prime position near the finish line put him in the path of one of the bombs.
Martin, eight, was the first person killed in the attacks to be publicly named. He was described as "kind, caring and loving" by staff at his former school.
His younger sister Jane, six, suffered a serious injury to her leg, while his mother, Denise, sustained a head injury and required emergency surgery. In an emailed statement, Martin's father, Bill, wrote: "My dear son Martin has died from injuries sustained in the attack on Boston. My wife and daughter are both recovering from serious injuries. We thank our family and friends, those we know and those we have never met, for their thoughts and prayers."
The 29-year old Medford, Massachusetts woman was cheering from the sidelines as her boyfriend ran, according to Yahoo News.
Her mother, Patty, shaking with emotion, told reporters: "You couldn't ask for a better daughter...I can't believe this has happened. She was such a hard worker in everything she did."
Campbell, a restaurant manager, had lived with and cared for her grandmother for almost two years after a medical procedure, the New York Times reported.
Her Facebook page lists her as a fan of the Boston's Fenway Park and television programme True Blood. "My daughter was the most lovable girl," her father told Yahoo. "She helped everybody, and I'm just so shocked right now."
End Quote Chinese consulate
The consulate has contacted the two families and will provide all necessary assistance to them.”
The third fatal casualty of the bomb blasts was Chinese graduate student Lu Lingzi, 23, according to officials at the Chinese consulate in New York.
Old friends and Chinese state media said she was from the north-eastern city of Shenyang. Her Linked-in profile said she had previously studied economics at Beijing Institute of Technology, and was now studying statistics at Boston University.
She was an eager cook who liked to blog about her meals and share new recipes.
Boston University's website said she was one of three friends who watched the race near the finishing line.
One of her friends, named as Zhou Danling by Chinese TV, was wounded. A statement from the university said: "Our hearts and thoughts go out to the family and friends of both victims."
On the Thursday after the bombings, with Boston on high alert, Sean Collier, a police officer at the prestigious Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), was found by colleagues dead in his car.
The 26-year-old had been shot multiple times, allegedly by Dzhokhar and Tamerlan Tsanaev as they tried to evade arrest.
Police ordered Boston into lockdown, eventually tracking the suspects down, killing the elder brother and wounding the other.
Paying tribute to Mr Collier, Boston Police Commissioner Edward Davis said he believed "his murder led to our apprehension of these individuals".
MIT Police Chief John DiFava said in a statement that Mr Collier was "one of these guys who really looked at police work as a calling".
"He was born to be a police officer," he said. Students at the university said he had always made an effort to get to know them, so he "knew which students he was protecting every day when he came to work".
A second policeman, transport officer Richard Donohue was shot in the thigh in a fire fight with the suspects when they were cornered later on Thursday. He remains in a critical condition in hospital but is expected to make a full recovery.