Man dies after cockroach-eating competition

Roaches Roaches are not known to be unsafe to eat

The winner of a cockroach-eating competition died shortly after scoffing dozens of the live insects and worms in Florida, authorities have said.

Edward Archbold, 32, became ill and collapsed at a pet shop where the contest took place in the city of Deerfield Beach on Friday.

About 30 others competed in the event at the Ben Siegel Reptile Store.

Officials are waiting for the results of an autopsy to determine Mr Archbold's cause of death.

'Unorthodox contest'

None of the other contestants became ill afterwards, the sheriff's office said.

"We feel terribly awful," said Ben Siegel, the owner of the shop.

"He looked like he just wanted to show off and was very nice," he said, adding that Mr Archbold did not appear to be ill before the competition.

A lawyer for Mr Siegel said all the contestants had signed disclaimers "accepting responsibility for their participation in this unique and unorthodox contest".

The grand prize for the winner was a python, and Mr Archbold had planned to sell the snake to a friend who took him to the contest, according to the shop owner.

More on This Story

More US & Canada stories

RSS

Features

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.