Afghanistan: Suicide attack kills 13 foreign personnel

The attack happened near Darulaman Palace on the south-west outskirts of the capital

A Taliban suicide bomber has rammed an explosives-laden car into a bus carrying members of the International Security Assistance Force in the Afghan capital, Kabul, killing 17 people.

The US said initially that the Isaf personnel - eight civilians and five soldiers - were all American.

But Canada later said one of its soldiers had died, and on Sunday the UK said two of its personnel perished.

Three Afghan civilians and a police officer also died in the blast.

Correspondents say it was one of the worst ground attacks against foreign troops since 2001, and that such attacks are rare in heavily-fortified Kabul.

Separately, three Australian soldiers were killed by a man in Afghan army uniform. Nato said the gunman was also killed in that attack in the south of the country.

And a teenage girl carried out a suicide attack on a building of the Afghan spy agency, the National Directorate of Security, in the eastern province of Kunar, killing herself and wounding several NDS personnel.

Fewer attacks have hit Kabul this year, compared to 2010.

But the Taliban and the Pakistan-based Haqqani network, which is linked to it, have still been able to penetrate the city's defences.

In September, the Haqqani network launched an attack on the American embassy and Isaf headquarters which lasted 20 hours.

Vehicles burning

The attack happened near Darulaman Palace, the bombed-out seat of Afghanistan's former kings on the south-west outskirts of the capital.

Analysis

The Taliban have been pushed back in the south of the country - their traditional heartland - where Isaf has made a lot of progress. But there are hot spots there and in the east of the country.

There has been a shift in the Taliban tactics - they are adaptable, in the way they match their attacks to a changed international mission.

Attacks on members of Isaf are down, but assassinations have dramatically risen by 60%, as have roadside bombs.

There has been some success in stopping attacks, but as Nato commanders say, "Militants have to be lucky only once, we have to be lucky every day."

The suicide attacker, driving a four-wheel drive vehicle, detonated the bomb just as the bus was passing at 11:20 (06:50 GMT). The armoured bus was blown over by the force of the explosion.

Nato helicopters were seen taking away casualties.

"It was a very strong bomb," said one eyewitness, Gulam Saki.

Thick black smoke rose from the scene - and some distance away there were shattered windows and scattered pieces of twisted metal, suggesting the blast had been massive.

"A suicide car bomb attack was carried out on a bus of foreign forces in the Darulaman area of Kabul," Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid said in a text message to AFP news agency.

Nato's worst Afghan moments

  • 6 April 2005 - Chinook crash in Ghazni province kills 15 US soldiers and three civilian contractors
  • 28 June 2005 - 16 US troops killed when Taliban bring down Chinook in Kunar province
  • 16 August 2005 - 17 Spanish soldiers die when Cougar helicopter crashes near Herat
  • 5 May 2006 - 10 US soldiers die after Chinook crashes east of Kabul
  • 2 Sept 2006 - 14 UK personnel killed when RAF Nimrod explodes following mid-air refuelling
  • 18 August 2008 - 10 French soldiers killed in Taliban ambush east of Kabul
  • 6 August 2011 - 30 US special forces killed in Chinook crash

Source: BBC and news agencies

The Canadian death is the first since Canadian combat operations ended earlier this year.

The attack was the deadliest incident since the Taliban shot down a US helicopter in August, killing 30 US special forces.

Isaf commander Gen John R. Allen, said he was "saddened and outraged".

"The enemies of peace are not martyrs, but murderers," Gen Allen said.

"My thoughts and prayers are with the families of those killed and injured in today's attacks," Gen. Allen added. "Their sacrifices will be honoured and the enemy will be held to account."

There has been an increase in militant attacks across Afghanistan in recent months, despite the presence of more than 130,000 foreign troops.

But this was a very significant attack, says the BBC's Quentin Sommerville in Kabul. It is rare for so many servicemen to die in a single incident, our correspondent says.

On Thursday the Taliban said it was behind an attack on a compound housing Western officials and military personnel in the city of Kandahar. The attack was repelled after a lengthy battle.

The US is planning to withdraw its troops from Afghanistan and hand over security to local forces by 2014.

More on This Story

More South Asia stories

RSS

Features

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.