India group 'could be linked' to Mumbai blasts
- 5 August 2011
- From the section South Asia
An Indian militant group may be linked to last month's deadly blasts in the Indian city of Mumbai (Bombay), the country's home minister has said.
Palaniappan Chidambaram said ongoing investigations pointed to the involvement of an "Indian module".
Twenty-six people were killed in the three blasts that occurred in crowded city neighbourhoods.
The attacks were the deadliest in India since 2008, when gunmen killed 165 people in a three-day raid in Mumbai.
"While no conclusion has been reached, all indications point to Indian module," Mr Chidambaram told parliament on Thursday.
"We cannot live in denial. We cannot close our eyes to facts. There are home grown modules. They do not belong to one religion."
The three blasts hit Zaveri Bazaar, an area with many jewellery shops, Opera House business district in the south of the city and Dadar district in the city centre.
No group said it planted the bombs but some officials and analysts blamed them on the Indian Mujahideen, a group which claimed to have carried out similar attacks in the past.